Litigation and Arbitration
Edgard assists clients in judicial disputes and arbitrations. He has handled cases related to civil law, corporate law, M&A and complex contracts.
He represented the University of São Paulo in academic competitions both nationally and internationally. In these events, he obtained recognitions such as: Runner-Up in the Brazilian Arbitration Competition (2018); Runner-Up in the 17th Willem C. Vis East International Commercial Arbitration Moot (2020).
Bachelor of Law from the University of São Paulo (USP/SP).
Graduate student from Jean-Moulin Lyon 3 University, in France.
- Arbitration Language: English. Dispute related to a share purchase agreement. The arbitration involved issues of fraudulent misrepresentation, breach of information duties in M&A operations and interpretation of share purchase agreements and representations and warranties clauses. Reparation was sought for material and moral damages due to an alleged breach of the seller’s information duties during negotiations. Amount in dispute: BRL 1.5 billion.
- Arbitration Language: Portuguese. Class action arbitration involving compensation to shareholders due to the devaluation of shares allegedly caused by the company directors’ mismanagement. Amount in dispute: BRL 1 billion.
- Judicial Litigation and Arbitration. Language: Portuguese. Dispute related to unfair competition and violations of confidentiality and non-compete clauses of a shareholder agreement. Amount in dispute to be ascertained.
- Judicial Litigation. Language: Portuguese. Dispute related to cryptoactive exchange activity, regulation by Receita Federal do Brasil (Internal Revenue Service) and inspection and storage of confidential documents related to the action of early production of evidence. Amount in dispute to be ascertained.
- Judicial Litigation. Language: Portuguese. Dispute regarding rental and services contracts within the electric energy sector due to contractual breaches, discussion of penalties and claim for damages. Amount in dispute: BRL 40 million.
- Runner-Up in the 17th Willem C. Vis East International Commercial Arbitration Moot (2020).
- Founder of the Center for M&A Studies at the University of São Paulo (2019).
- Runner-Up in the IX Brazilian Arbitration Competition organized by CAMARB (2018).